The past few years has been very tough on staffing.
But not everyone is doing poorly. There are green industry companies out there that are fully staffed.
How do they do it?
They take both a strategic and a tactical approach.
The #1 Staffing Strategy: Become A Destination Company®
Develop your business to where good employees are attracted to plant roots and grow their careers with you.
Develop your business where good employees are attracted to plant roots and grow their careers with you. Click To Tweet
It all starts with a retention strategy.
How do you keep your employees?
- Survey them a few times a year. Find how they score your company, and what’s missing.
- Hold frequent events that bring your team together: laughing, eating, and training.
- Show that you truly care as the owner.
I polled my peer group clients once on how they are doing this year. It is a joy to hear that so many are fully staffed or close to it.
And some are even overstaffed, as per my urging.
Don’t stop recruiting.
Here is how they do it.
Follow The Destination Company Recipe, Which Includes:
- Develop an employee-centered culture.
- Invest in your employee development, proactively grow your people and promote from within.
- Make tough decisions to protect your culture.
- And show each employee how they are making a difference in your company’s results.
Ten years ago I wrote the book, Destination Company, and I have been promoting it ever since as the best way to run your company.
And it works.
Let Your Community Know How Good You Are
You can’t just “build a better mousetrap”, because you still have to market the heck out of that mousetrap, too.
- This is where an active and creative social media campaign helps greatly.
- And other creative ways to engage your employees’ network.
- There is always a new recruiting tactic.
All great companies proactively and consistently market themselves.
Your Challenge: Engage In The Best “People Tools” No Matter Your Size
We are in the “people business servicing landscapes”, not the other way around. So arm yourself with the best people tools.
- Use professional HR software; like a CRM but for employees, not clients.
- Employ professional HR management, you are never too small.
- Hire professional recruiting agencies and head hunters as needed.
It’s a journey of a thousand investments.