What causes worker exodus and what should you do about it?
Gallup’s extensive research tells us that there are 12 key elements to keeping employees engaged:
- I know what is expected of me at work
- I have the materials and equipment I need to do my job right
- At work my opinions seem to count
- The mission or purpose of my company makes me feel my job is important
- My associates are committed to doing quality work
- I have a best friend at work
- At work I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday
- In the last seven days I have received recognition or praise for doing good work
- My supervisor is someone at work who seems to care about me as a person
- In the last six months someone at work has talked to me about my progress
- This last year I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow
- There is someone at work who encourages my development
When employees leave or disengage they will cost your company revenue and profits from productivity and customer loyalty. These 12 factors above create a compelling call to action for your managers and leaders. You can reset your focus on employee engagement by:
- Consistently and inspirationally communicate the vision, mission, values, and goals of the company; and reinforce weekly/monthly what each person’s role, contribution and impact is towards that.
- Engage employees with regular (individual and team) meetings to demonstrate that you are a resource as well as an inspiration for them to do an extraordinary job.
- Give employees the opportunity to grow in their field, by offering training, professional development and challenging work, and your coaching.
- Acknowledge that the economy has pressured the company in ways that have often taxed employees. Recognize and appreciate their sacrifice and how it made a difference in the company surviving.
- Demonstrate your leadership through authenticity, integrity, and passion to bring the company to a new level that can only be accomplished by a united team.
In an effort to survive this economy, leaders and managers must focus on their greatest asset. The impact of an engaged workforce on productivity, customers and profits will fuel your company’s growth to the next level.
Not sure where to begin? For those of you not coaching with me, you can begin by giving your employees a “survey” based on the Gallup Poll.
You can take it a step further, by engaging your employees in a beginning or mid-year retreat – to gain their buy-in to your company’s growth plan and future. For information on how this works, email me at Jeff@JeffreyScott.biz